In 2005, the world famous Blue Note Records commissioned Berlin based DJ-collective Jazzanova to compile two double albums-worth of Blue Note back catalogue gems. Blue Note didn't ask just some DJs to make the selections: Jazzanova are globally revered for their eclectic and tasty beats, remixes, parties and mixtapes, paving the way for many following music communities.
As these cats dug deep in the Blue Note vaults they came up with a masterful selection of the best that Blue Note has to offer. Absolutely no 'obvious' choices on this comprehensive collection, which ranges from Herbie Hancock and Freddie Hubbard's Soul Jazz obscurities to the dirty Funk of Gene Harris, alongside Latin flavours from Bobby Hutcherson. This surprising compilation really sets the mood for some old school grooving and moving. Highly recommended!
- 1. BOBBY HUTCHERSON – LOVE SONG
- 2. HORACE SILVER – NOBODY KNOWS
- 3. WATERS – SITTING HERE ALL ALONE
- 4. SHEILA JORDAN – BALTIMORE ORIOLE
- 1. GENE HARRIS – LOSALAMITOSLATINFUNKLOVESONG
- 2. CURTIS FULLER – QUANTRALE
- 3. HORACE SILVER QUINTET – SENOR BLUES
- 1. TINA BROOKS – THEME FOR DORIS
- 2. CHICO HAMILTON – THE MORNING SIDE OF LOVE
- 3. CHARLIE ROUSE – MECI BON DIEU
- 1. DUKE PEARSON – XIBABA
- 2. BOBBY HUTCHERSON – HELLO TO THE WIND
- 3. EDDIE GALE – SONG OF WILL
- 4. BOBBI HUMPHREY – IS THIS ALL?
"This is downtempo, chillout, late night stuff, equally at home front and center or hovering in the background, heavy on the deep cuts and with a sense of beat happening even when you’re not aware of it."