His latest release "Panama 500" is Pérez’ most ambitious project to date, the furthest evolution yet of what the pianist/composer calls “three-dimensional music.” His blend of influences makes him the ideal musical chronicler of his country’s history: already a land bridge between the Americas with a vibrant indigenous culture, Panama also began to absorb European culture into its own following Balboa’s arrival. Pérez similarly weaves together jazz and Pan-American folkloric traditions with influences from European classical music.
- 1. Rediscovery of the South Sea
- 2. Panama 500
- 3. Reflections on the South Sea
- 4. Abia Yala (America)
- 5. Gratitude
- 6. The Canal Suite: Land of Hope
- 7. The Canal Suite: Premonition in Rhythm
- 8. The Canal Suite: Melting Pot (Chocolito)
- 9. The Expedition
- 10. Narration 2: Reflections on the South Sea
- 11. Panama Viejo
- 12. Celebration of Our Land
"An ambitious work that showcases all of Pérez's immense technical skills, jazz knowledge, and deep, abiding love of his Latin American roots."