E_L_B / Nguyen Le
Fusion / World / Guitar Jazz
What seldom functions in everyday life is occasionally possible in music "There is no single leader with us. We’re all three on equal ground", guitarist Nguyên Lê commented. He continued, " We have something of a weakness for true democracy". No member of this trio, which was formed in France just two years ago, would presume the attitude "I’m the band"; and when that would be the case, then it would obviously go for all three. Three seemingly unspectacular letters suffice as the signature for this group undertaking: E_L_B. Written out, the initials stand for Erskine_Lê_Benita. And this is certainly everything but unspectacular. Whoever has followed jazz over the last ten to twenty years will give a whistle at these three names.
- 1. ZigZag - 05:56 (Lê, Nguyên)
- 2. Autumn Rose - 06:39 (Erskine, Peter)
- 3. Pong - 04:47 (Lê, Nguyên)
- 4. Country Boy - 04:14 (Benita, Michel)
- 5. Now Or Never - 03:59 (Erskine, Peter)
- 6. Sao Sen - 06:14 (Lê, Nguyên)
- 7. Pirates - 03:43 (Benita, Michel)
- 8. Meanwhile - 06:33 (Erskine, Peter)
- 9. Bee - 05:36 (Lê, Nguyên)
- 10. Bass Desires - 05:17 (Erskine, Peter)
- 11. Free At Last - 05:29 (Benita, Michel)
The three musicians have crossed paths again and again on different projects. "Peter Erskine and I had planned to put together a group for a long time", says Nguyên Lê. The first trio appearance with Michel Benita occurred in 1994, and after a meeting at the MIDEM in 1999, the three decided to continue this formation as a working group.