JAZZ AT BERLIN PHILHARMONIC IX - PANNONICA / Dan Berglund, Iiro Rantala
Jazz / Piano Jazz
The "Jazz at Berlin Philharmonic" pays tribute to the Jewish baroness Pannonica (Nica) de Koenigswarter. The concert, on 6 February 2019, thirty years after her death, focused on pieces by the musicians whom the “Jazz Baroness” supported over many years with money, accommodation, advice and friendship, and who often dedicated compositions to her to express their gratitude: Thelonious Monk, Horace Silver, Bud Powell and Sonny Rollins. The line up consists of Iiro Rantala (piano & leader), Dan Berglund (bass), Anton Eger (drums), Angelika Niescier (alto saxophone), Ernie Watts (tenor saxophone) and Charenée Wade (vocals).
- 1. Round Midnight ( Thelonious Monk)
- 2. Boliviar Blues ( Thelonious Monk)
- 3. Poor Butterfly ( Raymond Hubbell & Sonny Rollins)
- 4. Nica’s Dream ( Horace Silver)
- 5. Celia ( Bud Powell)
- 6. Little Butterfly (Pannonica) (Thelonious Monk / Jon Hendricks)
- 7. Get It Straight ( Thelonious Monk / Sally Swisher)
"...beautifully recorded, full of energy and a great way to remember Nica. Very well worth a listen."
London Jazz News